Can't be bothered to get your trainers on? Give your running mojo a boost with these reasons why Zesties love to hit the road
We asked you what you like about running. Check out these inspirational answers...
1. Hilary: 'I love how running seems to wake up every cell in my body. I always feel so alive when I'm running.'
2. Kerry: 'The freedom that it can be fitted in when it suits you. No waiting for a gym to open or class to start.'
3. Georgina: 'When I'm on a really good run, I feel like I'm flying! It's also brought me into contact with lots of amazing people. Looking and feeling fit don't hurt, either.'
4. Angie: 'I run for health/fitness and body confidence but most of the time it gives me the much craved 'me' time away from kids, phone, computer etc.'
5. Jo: 'I love running outdoors. It makes me feel like a kid!'
6. Laura: 'I find running fantastic stress relief, a brilliant way to clear my head and the endorphins make me feel fantastic. Nothing beats getting outside and filling my lungs with fresh air. I love challenging myself to different routes and to getting new PBs. It can be sociable when I fancy a gossip with a friend, and massively therapeutic when everything's getting on top of me. I love that no two runs are the same - I might feel as though I can barely be bothered to lace up my trainers but I get out there and feel like I could run and run.'
7. Nicola: 'I love the feeling of power it gives me. That I can get somewhere, actually quite far away, under my own steam even if all forms of public transport were broken and my car was out of fuel.'
8. Taylor: 'I love running because it makes me feel strong. When I've pushed myself to complete a longer distance or faster pace, I feel like I can take on anything!'
9. Andrea: 'It keeps me fit and makes me feel good. It fits around my time schedule so I don't have to fit around gym classes. It can take not a lot of time - 30 mins fast - or a lot of time (2 hrs peace on a Sunday am!). Running always fits in, even when other things don't!'
10. Helen: 'The outdoors and fresh air, even in winter!'
11. Bel: 'It's free, you can pretty much do it anywhere & by the end of it, it gives you an adrenaline-induced endorphin high.'
12. Nikki: 'Being outdoors in the fresh air.'
13. Jennifer: 'I love being able to see progress. You can go from running 1km to 1 mile to 2 miles to 5k... and before you know it you are running for an hour and signing up for a 10k race'
14. Lisa: 'I love the way running puts me in touch with the seasons - when you're stuck behind a desk all day it's such a delight to see the first daffodils gingerly poking out of the soil in springtime, or to feel the sun on your skin as you run past mums taking their babies out for a stroll in the park in summer or hear the autumn leaves rustle as you run through them. Often it's my only chance to spend some time outdoors and get some much-needed fresh air.'
15. Laura: 'Just having time to myself.'
16. Susan: 'All of the above. Even when I don't want to go running, I always get home feeling glad that I did.'
17. Mairead: 'I love having time to myself, a selfish slice of me-time where I can organise my thoughts and clear my head.'
18. Jennifer: 'I like getting a sweat on!'
19. Charlotte: 'It's the cardio fitness for me - I like to be able to play with my young daughter without getting too out of puff.'
20. Kerry: 'For me, it's about releasing tensions from work, clearing my head, having a damn good workout and then feeling ready to re-join the world! Love it.'
Why do you love running? Post your own reasons in the comment box below.
Posted: 20/03/2012 at 11:38
Posted: 19/04/2013 at 11:09
Posted: 19/04/2013 at 15:15
Like us on facebook
Follow us on twitter
Other Hearst Magazines UK sites